Blog Homemade Vanilla Extract
Whether you are searching for a vanilla extract that is gluten-free or are just looking for a more wholesome and authentic version consider making some yourself. This tasty ingredient makes a great gift and can be used in a number of cookie recipes.
The recipe couldn't be more simple.
What You'll Need:
- Vanilla Beans (1-8 depending on volume and quality of bean)
- A Glass Jar
- Alcohol (At least 35% alcohol – Vodka works well but you can also use Grain Alcohol, Bourbon, Brandy or Rum)
- Slice each bean lengthwise
- Place the beans in the jar and cover with your chosen alcohol.
- Label the jar with "Use After" date six months from the current date. Our Vanilla Extract Label is available for download and use.
- You can keep adding more alcohol to top off your bottle. Each bean will last for years.
Some tips on selecting vanilla beans:
- Bourbon or Madagascar vanilla will give you the classic vanilla flavor
- Tahitian vanilla has a subtle flavor that is more floral and fruity
- Mexican vanilla has spicy overtones
We hope you enjoy!