Blog S'more Cookies, Please
Ahhh, summer…time for some much-needed warmth! In Vermont, we have such a brief respite from colder weather that it's a very welcome season. As the temperature creeps up again, we look forward to outdoor activities of all kinds; swimming, sunbathing, hiking, camping, and of course, campfires! Nothing beats sitting around the fire with loved ones, roasting marshmallows and making s'mores (sing-alongs optional).
Whether you prefer to scorch or just lightly toast your marshmallows, any s'more tastes even better with our homemade graham cookie recipe. There are also instructions beneath the recipe for making the s'mores, both indoors and out- so no matter where you are when it's s'more time, we've got you covered.
A few notes:
- Look for graham flour in natural food stores or in the baking aisle or "healthy" section of well stocked supermarkets. If you can't find it, you can use 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour plus 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ, although the results won't be the same.
- We recommend using the Fluted Circle and Crescent Moon shapes together for cutting out the dough, but you could also forego cutting out the crescents and stick with just the circle. Our other favorite summer shapes are the Butterfly and Star.
- Graham crackers may still be soft when they come out of the oven, but should firm up and become more cracker-like as they cool.
- For a more decadent s'more, use high-quality dark or milk chocolate.
- Add fresh fruit such as raspberries, sliced strawberries or bananas for an elegant treat.
- Create a tropical version with shredded coconut & fresh sliced pineapple.
- 16 graham cookies, recipe below
- 16 large marshmallows
- 3-6 ounces chocolate bar
- 1 ½ cups graham flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons milk, plus extra for brushing the crackers
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cinnamon sugar topping:
- 1 ½ Tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Place the graham flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor and process to blend.
- Add butter and pulse until incorporated and mixture looks like crumbs (12-15 pulses).
- In a small bowl, whisk together 6 tablespoons milk, honey and vanilla until the honey is dissolved.
- Pour milk mixture over dry ingredients and process just until the liquid is completely incorporated.
- Turn dough into a bowl and press together to form a ball. Divide dough in half and roll one at a time on a lightly floured surface to 1/8" thick.
- Refrigerate rolled dough for 10 minutes until firm.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut refrigerated dough one at a time with round scallop cutter, place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Reroll scraps once, and repeat. Cut out moon from center on half of the cookie (slightly wiggle moon cutter to create extra space around the center shape).
- Reserve and bake small moons if desired (makes a fun bite sized s'mores with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips!).
- Brush the surface of each cookie with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Prick each cracker several times with a toothpick.
- Bake 20 minutes until firm, dry-looking and lightly browned on the edges, switching and rotating the pans halfway through baking.
- Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then place on a wire rack and cool completely. Makes 16 cookies for 8 s'mores.
For Outdoor S'mores
Build an open fire or pre heat grill on high. Divide chocolate and place on top of round cookies. Skewer 2 marshmallows and roast over open fire or grill until golden and gooey. Remove marshmallows from skewers and place on each chocolate-topped graham cookie. Sandwich each with a cutout moon cookie, press gently together. Let sit 3-5 minutes to melt chocolate. Enjoy!
For Indoor S'mores
Adjust oven rack to middle position and pre heat on broil. Arrange solid round cookies on cookie sheet and divide chocolates on top. Broil about 30 - 60 seconds until chocolate just begins to melt. Arrange 2 marshmallows on top of each cookie. Broil for additional 30 - 60 seconds until the marshmallows are golden brown (check frequently). Remove from oven and top with cutout moon graham cookie. Press gently together and enjoy!
If you make a cute cutout shape, you can use the cutouts for mini s'mores with a Hershey's Kiss or Chocolate Chip.